ON THE SUBJECT OF SCHOOLS, I FELT COMPELLED TO CHIME IN. If you can afford an expensive school then take it if you like but if you can't then obviously don't go to an expensive school. Just like you wouldn't buy a car you couldn't afford.
The best thing about the "good" schools are the students because when you hear a school is great everybody flocks there, including many of the most talented... but notice I said "many" and not "all" the most talented.
"Superstars" can come from city, any shape, any color, ANY AGE. We've seen it many times before.
The best way to cultivate talent is to interact with other talented or potentially talented people. It just makes us all work even harder. I had the great fortune of being in the same school and year with Pixar's James Robertson, Dani Strijleva, Ben Su and John Lee. And these are just a handful of the very talented people from my year. Just by being in the same class, this has influenced me to work harder than ever when I really didn't want to work at all.
I know this sounds surprising having this come from a person that teaches online and owns an online school but I don't think online learning works for everyone. Knowing from experience, it takes a more disciplined person to take online classes or learn from DVDs. If you think of how many people have instructional DVDs that they never fully watched, you get the idea. However if you are disciplined you would obviously be saving A LOT of money.
If I was to do it all over again now, knowing what I know and being the person I am today, I would do it "the online way". In fact I am doing it this way NOW. I believe If you want stability, the best way is to constantly seek knowledge. It was the whole entire purpose of building Schoolism.com. But I'm a much different person now and much more disciplined than I was before. I don't shy away or have problems being social or create my own network of friends without being in a school. But when I was in college, I needed college to mature as an artist as well as a person.
Now that I've experienced the industry for a good amount of time and have developed a healthy career as a character designer and illustrator I'd like to humbly suggest 5 classes that really should be in schools that aren't.
1. "How to be Social" In this day and age everybody has to work with other people. There are so many people out there that would do so much better if they had some good social skills.
2. "Creating Principles" Creating strong principles helps to develop our moral compass. This is something that can be crucial in a world where so many people and things are trying to influence us one way or another. This will also keep us from slacking off and developing other bad habits
3. "How to be Organized" I could've really used this class! I was a very disorganized person before and that led to much more stress because I wasn't getting things done as efficiently as I could. With good organization not only does everything get done on time but you tend to SAVE a lot of time as well.
4. "How to Empathize." The key ingredient to working well with people is to be empathetic. Through empathy comes understanding and effective communication.
5. "The Practice of Visualizing" You have to dream to achieve your dreams. Visualizing what I want or how I want my life to be has helped me guide my own path. Don't let the river of life guide your boat. We have to paddle towards the direction we want to go.
If I had my way I'd implement these classes into every school for everybody. Not just artists.
Thank you for reading… Let's get back to painting.
The Spring Sale is still on and we're now happy to announce that Designing with Color & Light with Nathan Fowkes is now available as part of the sale! This course is addition to many other Self-Taught Classes are $100 off through to April 26th, 2013 @ 3:00am. Don't miss out!
check out my galery!!!! I think it is bad but..yahso thanks booby for everything tht you give us and thank youfor all the things tht u post up here really makes me happy!! o and d an expo down here in texas!!this is my only and the greatest dream ive e